Deadline: April 12, 2021 by 8 am Budapest time
Investigate Europe is looking for a Hungary-based journalist (the initial contract is full-time for two years, while we intend on securing funds to make this a permanent position)
Could this be you?
We at Investigate Europe (IE) want to bring a Hungarian perspective to our stories, and increase the impact of our work in the region. We are looking for a journalist who will help us do this.
IE is a cooperative of experienced journalists coming from 10 European countries. We share, merge and cross-check facts — aiming to tackle the usual national biases. We expose the responsible transnational structures and actors in issues of Europe-wide importance, making it possible to hold them to account.
We have published our work in 23 Countries with 70 media partners so far.
Thanks to support from foundations and individual donors, we have the means to finance this post for two years, and are working to make it a permanent position.
The wide range of fields we cover and countries we come from means that there is no such thing as a typical IE journalist. We are a team with practically every possible kind of journalistic experience. A background in economic/political and investigative journalism would be especially appreciated. Journalists based in Hungary who have good publishing connections with Hungarian outlets can apply.
We take your career and development seriously and want you to become a full member of our European team.
Learn more about us:
- Investigating with us on a national and European level
- Preparation of journalistic material
- Publishing in your country
- Cooperating with other members of Investigate Europe across borders
- Ensuring information flow between other team members
- Proposing new ideas and pitches
What we expect from candidates:
- Experience working as a journalist on in-depth investigations
- Investigative skills and the ability to summarise/explain complex issues
- A well-developed network of national sources and stable publishing relationship(s) with Hungarian outlet(s)
- Previous experience working on cross-border projects would be a bonus
- Ability to work independently, while still closely collaborating with the whole editorial team.
- Ability to work under deadlines and high pressure
- High level of responsibility and journalistic accuracy
- C2 Hungarian and English B2/C1 level to be able to share material and communicate within the group
- A basic understanding of the ways of working of the EU
What we offer:
- Fair payment
- Friendly atmosphere and open working culture
- Great autonomy
- Sufficient resources for travel, data and research
- Developments in project management
- The possibility to realise your own ideas
- Working in an international, recognised team
We have budgeted €3,000 a month for this position. Depending on how we best organise the collaboration, this could either be in the form of a grant or a labour contract.
How to apply:
Application deadline: April 12, 2021, by 8 am Budapest time. Please send your application to: email@example.com, including a cover letter, CV and samples of, or links to, your work.
If you have questions, please contact Wojciech Cieśla (firstname.lastname@example.org).